Monday, October 15, 2012

Another Week in Sweden

Hey everyone how are you?! So another crazy Swedish week has rolled by and things are going great! Mom, you were asking about the Swedish people and why I think it's so hard for them to change and accept the gospel. Well there are two main reasons that come to mind. One is just like the Lamanites in the Book of Mormon, they are caught in the wicked traditions of their fathers. Once upon a time Sweden used to be a very christian country. You can tell just by looking around each city here, there are churches everywhere dating back to even the 1600's! But these past few generations have rebelled against that lifestyle by going the opposite way. The second reason and probably the bigger reason is because Swedes are content. They are happy. They make good money, the government pampers them, they are content in their ways and have convinced themselves that they are happy so it's hard to open their eyes and show them that there really is more to be had in this life. They are a pretty prideful people. The reason the church grows so quickly in Africa and South America is because the people there are humble. They don't have much and are willing to accept that there is more to be had. So yeah, those are my thoughts on it. It is definitely tough to have been out seven months and not have a single baptism, but it's okay, I know that as long as I can maybe improve a few people's opinions of the church then I'm doing my job. About investigators, Jill and Mellie are doing...well. We had a dinner at a members with Jill this week and watched the full restoration movie with her. She liked it, but it seems like all she really got out of it was that Joseph Smith gave all he had and all he got was a bullet in return. She is very angry with God and has a lot of "why" questions like "why would God let this or that happen?" So it's kinda hard to get through to her. Mellie is looking possibly more positive as of now, she is definitely more humble, but she is harder to meet with. As for the mormon.org referral, her name is Emillie Nilsson-dag. She is really nice and seems pretty interested but has a hard time meeting with us because she is a college student in a different city so it's hard to catch her at home. She lives in Uddevalla(about 30 min away from Trollhättan.) so that's the update on the work for this week. Things are going forward slowly so that's good.
This Friday we will have zone conference here in Göteborg, I'm super excited! We will have personal interviews with President so I'm hoping to find out what President's plans are for me. If he still plans on taking me to the office or if I'm staying here for a while. we'll see. I love Trollhättan but I am definitely ready for a change. Trollhättan is a really hard ward to be in. To put it bluntly, they don't really like the missionaries. So it's hard to trust them with our investigators we bring to church. It's just not a very strong ward so that makes it hard. That is why me and Elder Saldutti are trying so hard to strengthen the ward with the PMG lessons. Mom, that is so awesome about the PMG studies that you are doing now! I love that book and have such a strong testimony that it is scripture. 
Oh man I can't believe that the world series is already almost here! I don't quite know who to root for Dad, what about you? Let me know who the final two are and I'll pick from there, haha.  That way I'll  have a 50/50 percent chance of getting it right, haha.  Good luck to PG with Bingham! That's always a tough game. Man I miss sports! Sounds like those chickens turned out great Dad! Man I can't wait to come home to a smoke master for a dad! I'll never move out. I'm sorry Dad, but I can't say I'm sorry I'm not there to help you pull up the garden... haha but I hope it's not too big of a project! 
Well fam, I'm gonna head for the week but know that I love you and miss you all so very much! I am so grateful for my chance to be her in Sweden! I really do love this place and these people even if it isn't a very fruitful work. I just revel in the small victories :) 
Love you all!-
Elder McKay.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

loff.

loff.